Thursday, September 12, 2013

Chapter 15 Reflection

Before we started this unit, I knew that after the war it was a very troubled time and there was a lot that had to be done so that the south could officially recover from the civil war. I also knew that the African Americans had a very hard time recovering because since they had just become free, life was very different for them. I didn't know details but I knew the basic idea of how it was in the south.

I found it very interesting about Jim Crow Laws. I thought it was unfair how people back then could give people a different Literacy test, which people had to take so they could vote, that was harder just based on the fact that they were black. I think people should know about the history of where they live so they can learn that times weren't always easy for everyone, especially dealing with the United States history. I found the Jim Crow laws very interesting to learn about, because even when you hear about how the blacks were treated, it was not put into perspective for me until I heard that it happened even when it came to being able to vote. I learned that white southerners would do everything possible to make sure the black could not get their way in any form.

1 comment: